Residence Permit Application Submitted!

At long last, I have applied for my residence permit. From late September to mid November, the newly arrived foreign students make the lines insufferable. Although the building opens at 7:30 and the foreigners' office opens at 8, the first students show up at 3 AM. Fortunately, that madness has subsided for the most part. I only had to show up at 6:30 AM to be fifth in line. (though I woke up at 5:00AM)

At 7, an employee appeared to write our names down on a list. At 7:30, we were let into the building and had our paperwork briefly checked over. Once my documents were approved, I received a ticket and an application form to fill out while I waited for the number on my ticket to be called. Strangely, one of the questions on the form was apartment size. Having no clue how big my room is in feet, let alone meters, I just left that one blank.

When my turn came, I stepped into the proper room and handed over all the necessary documents. If you receive a waiver for German health insurance, you will need to bring your insurance card or other proof of non-German insurance along. The officer had no problems with any of my papers except the biometric photo I submitted. Having taken it with a computer in a hallway, it was not the best quality in the world. However, the officer scanned it in anyway and seemed to pass muster, if only just.

After copying all my forms, he printed a few extra forms, had me sign, and electronically took my pointer fingerprints. That was it. He gave me back my original documents, passed me a booklet with info on the electronic identity card I would receive, and told me to wait about 4 weeks to receive my PIN and another couple weeks to get instructions on picking up the card itself.

I then hurried home and napped. 'Twas glorious.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know this is finally dealt with - what an ordeal! FYI in the 4th paragraph, I think you want to say, "had me sign" not my.

    ReplyDelete