Hooray for Homework!

For reasons currently unknown, two professors now have had problems giving me access to L2P where they post all their learning materials. They receive an error saying that I already have a pending registration. Given that they are the only ones capable of registering me, and they received that error on their first attempt, I can only assume that mischievous Pixlies are warring with the Electrognomes and have chosen my student account as the battle field. However, they must have had a brief ceasefire because my Dynamics registration went through. I will have to wait for the Photonaiads to mobilize their strong forces against the Pixlies before I can see the Literary Studies website.

When I got onto the Dynamics page, I found a dynamic system we had seen in lecture with the acceleration and velocity vectors written in. Helpful, but nothing all that special. Then I saw the folder labeled Aufgabenstellungen. With suspicious hope rising within me, I clicked the link. Wonder of wonders, it was homework problems! Well, homework that no one will grade or ask you to turn in. I have been struggling to think of ways to learn material without any practice problems. The teachers and TAs solve the problems given in the textbook, and doing an exercise you have already seen the answer to is like making an origami crane with the folds pre-creased. Now, at least for one course, I know where I can turn.

In another technical course, Regelungstechnik, I have discovered practice problems in the form of old exams. These have the slight disadvantage that they cover material for the entire semester. Since I already have essentially three recitations per week for this class, I think I will count that as enough practice during the semester. I can turn to the old tests when I have a bit more knowledge under my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment