Books and Baked Goods

Today, since one of my lectures starts next week for some reason, I only had one afternoon class to attend. As a result, I decided to try and get some things done this morning. Namely, I wanted to get some textbooks and set up an automatic monthly withdrawal for rent.

The bookshop that carries the Mittelhochdeutsches Taschenwörterbuch (Middle High German Pocket Dictionary) that I need is called Mayersche. I had heard that the bookshop I went to yesterday was a smaller outlet and that I wanted the big shop. I did not realize just how big. Imagine Borders or Barnes and Noble. Now imagine three of them stacked on top of each other with two cafes included. I took my sweet time finding what I needed. Wandering through all the different sections was just too entertaining. In the fantasy and science fiction section, they had a table labeled "Game of Thrones, etc." Various Game of Thrones related texts and a few other well known high fantasy series littered the display. Finally, I discovered the text I needed on the top floor. 20 Euros. So far, it is the most expensive text I've had to get. In total, I imagine the texts for this semester will only set me back around $100. Compared to the $500 or so a regular semester in America might cost, I am pretty darn satisfied.

Next, I went to the Studentenwerk office in Peterstrasse and set up my rental payment to work with my Sparkasse account. Or rather, I intended to. I had forgotten that Wednesdays the Studentenwerk has no office hours. Oh well. I picked up the eggs I had forgotten to get yesterday, headed home, and read a bit of the script to Mittelhochdeutsche while I waited for my first and last lecture of the day.

Dynamics: this is another 1000 plus class. However, rather than beginning with something high tech like a segway, it began with an overhead projector and transparencies. How quaint. Nevertheless, a dry erase marker and projector turned out to be far more practical than a white board for a class that size. Once again,I found myself following the math and reverse translating from there. It seems the more technical the class, the easier to understand as a second language learner. Of course, we'll see what happens when we move on from basic Cartesian Coordinates and into something I haven't learned ten times over.

After class, I messed around, semi visited Rhönradturnen practice (I wasn't in the mood and left early), and waited for it to be 8 o'clock. What was I waiting for you ask? The "Onion Tarts and Federweisser" Party. While I could care less about the weird young wine offering, the onion tarts grabbed my attention. I had secretly hoped they would be free. Alas, they cost 1 star. Stars refer to the little stars printed onto a ticket indicating how much bar credit you have. I got 5 Euros worth of credit when I signed up for internet, so I put those to good use. The tarts looked something like what you see below.

They were entirely delicious. In fact, I picked up one to heat up for breakfast tomorrow, which drew confused expressions from the German girls I was hanging out with. Apparently left over onion tart is not normal breakfast food. To all those who assign food to specific meal times, I say poppycock. I will eat onion pie for breakfast, muesli and yogurt for lunch, and an omelet for dinner. Just try and stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment