First Grade and Screwy Scales

Well, I have heard back on my Middle High German Translation exam. The professor said that the only mistakes were matters of word endings and expression. All in all, I get a 1-.

I'll take this as a chance to talk about the grading scale in Germany.

Instead of A-F, Germans use a numerical system 1-5. However, the numbers do not like up exactly with our letters. Time for an over complicated graphic!


Green indicates a passing grade. Although a 4 might seem like the equivalent of1 an F or a D, it's still considered passing in Germany, more akin to a C-. 

The question weighing on my mind is if I'm required to get the equivalent of a C to get credit at CMU, does that mean I need a 4 or a 3 in the German system? Hopefully, my next exams will go as well as my translation did.

Next Exam: Intro to Literary Studies tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment